“Therefore, as you received Christ Jesus the Lord, so walk in him, rooted and built up in him and established in the faith, just as you were taught, abounding in thanksgiving.” –Col. 2:6-7
Let me offer a few notes on these verses:
“as you received Christ Jesus the Lord, so walk in him”
- How did you receive Christ? We take hold of Christ by faith. Faith also involves repentance. Therefore, we should daily walk in repentance and faith.
- This means we need to preach the Gospel to ourselves daily!
- When Paul says, “just as you were taught,” he is telling them to apply the Gospel they first heard to their current circumstances.
- As the Gospel daily confronts our indwelling sin, we should repent and rest (faith) in the security of Christ’s work on our behalf.
“rooted and built up in him and established in the faith”
- We do not graduate from the Gospel.
- No, instead we press deeper and deeper into the riches of Christ.
- What are some evidences that this is happening?
- You are seeing more and more how the Gospel informs and applies to all of your life (marriage, singleness, parenting, work, neighboring, finances, etc.)
- You are bringing more and more of your life under the Lordship of Jesus because as the verse above says, He is Lord.
- The language of “rooted,” “built up,” and “established” are strong word pictures, reflect on them.
“abounding in thanksgiving”
- The more you press into the Gospel, the more you are amazed by grace.
This is discipleship 101. Seek to apply this Scripture not only to your own life but also to your fellow church members lives. Let’s help one another follow Jesus.